Web Push Notifications is an effective channel for engaging Mobile and Desktop web visitors. They are essentially clickable notifications that are sent by the website directly to the browser of their subscribers.

Up until now, it’s been difficult for brands to build meaningful relationships with their web visitors since websites lack the engaging capabilities of mobile apps, such as push notifications and home screen icons. Marketers currently employ channels, such as email and remarketing, to retarget and engage their audiences but their main drawbacks include lack of immediacy and the difficulty of breaking through the clutter to reach customers effectively.

Web push is the next level of website engagement

In a recent Forrester study, 91% of marketers stated that they are prioritising the improvement of the customer experience through personalisation over the next 12 months. Web Push provides marketers with the opportunity to deliver a uniquely individualised experience to customers instantly on their desktop and mobile browser.

Web push vs. mobile app push

The new messaging channel is similar to mobile app push notifications except Web Push works exclusively on websites and can be accessed on all devices (desktop, mobile & tablet).  The user must grant permission for notifications to be delivered from an individual website. A simple opt-in prompt can be presented during their first site session or at a time specified by the brand.

Jobbio- web push opt in prompt

Once a website visitor has opted in to receive web push notifications, a brand can reach out and communicate with relevant, personalised messaging at the optimal time. Notifications can even be delivered when the user has left a website and is browsing elsewhere, allowing brands to extend the reach of their website beyond the browser.

Web Push Notifications are currently functional on Chrome, Firefox and Safari (OS), accounting for 77% of global browser audience share.

Web push in action

Cart abandonment notifications provide one compelling example where web push can be utilised best. A targeted web push message can be sent instantly to the browser of an e-commerce user, for example, who has abandoned their shopping cart and is browsing on a competitor website. The brand could even choose to offer the customer, in question, a targeted promotion such as free delivery for 24 hours to entice them to return and complete purchase.

cart-infographic showing the usefulness of web push

By leveraging the insights already at their disposal in web analytics, marketers can tap into customer segments and deliver tailored web push notifications at the right time to the right customer. Considering that, on average, only 2% of website visitors convert on the first visit, web-based messaging provides the perfect way to re-engage with the other 98% of users to drive brand engagement and increase overall conversion efficiency.

What’s next?

If you would like to learn more about Web Push, check out our Essential Guide to Web Push Notifications for everything you need to know about this game-changing technology.

You can also get in touch with us by clicking on the button below to schedule a demo of the Xtremepush web push solution.

About Xtremepush

Xtremepush is the complete digital engagement platform, purpose-built for multichannel marketing. It empowers brands to deliver personalised, relevant and real-time messages across email, web browser, mobile app, sms and social messengers.

The platform is completely modular and combines enterprise-grade analytics with a full suite of campaign and automation tools. This provides brands with accessible and actionable data, enabling them to unify the silos, create dynamic customer experiences and execute core business goals at speed and scale.